2017 Rawlings 5150 Review
While the Rawlings 5150 isn’t the most popular Rawlings BBCOR bat out there (check out top BBCOR Bats here), it does have its fans. This is the main reason why the 2017 edition of Rawlings 5150 builds upon what hitters have come to love and expect from the company (click here to see Best BBCOR Bats of 2017).
With a very reasonable price tag and a couple of great characteristics, this bat is a piece of baseball equipment worth exploring.
2017 Rawlings 5150 Overview
Made of aerospace grade alloy (5150), this bat is lightweight and long-lived. It will appeal to anyone in need of durability. The one-piece alloy construction increases the lifespan of the item even further. On top of that, the specific material results in a highly recognizable ping that Rawlings 5150 fans love.
The bat also features the precision optimized performance or POP 2.0 technology by Rawlings. The technology is needed to isolate the weight to a small region of the bat for a better balance. This innovative design technology will also maximize the sweet spot of the bat.
There are several other prominent technical characteristics worth mentioning:
- -3 length to weight ratio
- A 2 5/8 inch barrel diameter
- Balanced swing weight of the bat
- Ultra-responsive design that makes the bat very easy to control
- A 12-month manufacturer warranty
Fans of the Rawlings 5150 have been particularly pleased with several characteristics of the 2017 edition of the bat:
- An excellent price to quality ratio: this bat is crafted out of aerospace-grade aluminum. It is more than reasonably priced and it will remain in an excellent condition for many years to come. As a result, this bat is great for both beginners and more advanced players.
- Excellent pop: due to the material used in the item’s construction. The 2017 Rawlings 5150 is recognized for the highly distinctive pop.
- Large sweet spot: the POP 2.0 technology that Rawlings is so proud of does lead to major improvements. It expands the sweet spot for better control over the bat and enhanced performance on the field.
- Balanced: the bat feels really lightweight and it isn’t top-heavy. This is the most versatile design and yet another reason why Rawlings 5150 will appeal to a vast range of hitters.
- Stiff barrel: since this is a lightweight bat, it may contribute to some loss of power. The brand new 5150 compensates for this fact through the stiffness of the barrel. Because of this design specific, the power of performance is guaranteed.
- Thin and functional grip: this is another characteristic that enhances the functionality of the BBCOR bat and keeps the hitter in charge throughout the game.
A Few Shortcomings
The issues with the 2017 Rawlings 5150 aren’t that many and they don’t really interfere with the performance of the bat. A few of the cons that hitters have gotten to experience include the following:
- Similar to 2016 Rawlings 5150: there aren’t huge differences between the brand new bat and the 2016 edition. Players who have been expecting more pronounced innovations may feel disappointed.• Loudness: while some enjoy the specific loudness stemming from the use of this particular alloy, other batters may feel annoyed by it.
- Rawlings fans prefer the VELO range: in comparison to 5150 BBCOR bats, the Velo range comes with a better balance and a larger sweet spot. This is the main reason why the fans of the brand opt for the Velo range.
The 2017 Rawlings 5150 BBCOR bat is reasonably prices and great for both beginners and more advanced players. Well-balanced and made of durable aluminum, this is a bat that will last a very long time.
Once again, this isn’t the world’s most favorite Rawlings piece of equipment. Still, the bat has numerous fans because of the POP 2.0 technology and the exceptionally durable aluminum alloy.
If you are looking for a well-made, one-piece aluminum bat, you will like the Rawlings 5150. The design does require some getting used to and the bat may feel a bit on the lighter side. Still, if you get used to these characteristics, you’ll probably enjoy the bat a lot and see improvements in your batting performance.